12 August 2013

the mau and the visitor



The Mau and the Visitor started back tonight for a second season which will run through till Friday.  If you did not see it in June then this week is your last chance!  Written and directed by Pulotu McCarthy, this stage production weaves the romance between Sina and a New Zealand police officer with Samoan history of the early 1900's, ending in the death of Tupua Tamasese Lealofi III.

In June, I found the play to be a yoyo between funny and serious reflected in the best acting from Sam Iosefo (not in season 2, but do not let that put you off) who played Tupua Tamasese Lealofi III, as well as the writer and director himself who pulled off the excellent portrayal of a stumbling phlegm hoicking drunk Samoan!

The least liked part of the June production for me was that Sina's love interest (also not in season 2, but do not let that put you off either) seemed too old for her, or maybe she was too young for him .. either way, too hard for me to leave my judgmental goggles in the car on the apparent age difference.  And my most liked part was the high amount of Samoan dialogue throughout.  It was quite refreshing to see a Samoan play where there was more than the usual Samoan profanity here and there.

If I have not managed to convince you to get along to the Mangere Arts Centre for this show with my invigorating post then watch the Tagata Pasifika snippet below by Sanele Chadwick because after watching that even I want to go again!

This is me - Teine 'Afakasi.

No comments: